Monday, July 1, 2013

Orientation Day

Today was my first full day in Mongolia. I slept in a little and my host sister made me a huge breakfast. Way more than I could ever eat but it wasn't bad. I'm not sure what alot of it was though. Sometimes it's better not to ask questions. 

My host family is very kind and the apartment is nice as well. The best part is they have wifi so I don't have to leave to communicate with people. 

My bedroom

The hallway 

Living room

My sweet sisters

My orientation day started at 1130. A projects abroad worker picked me up and we took the public transportation to the office. I had a small orientation there about the medical placement and the dos and donts of being in Mongolia. We had Korean food for lunch...still not a fan...and from there she took me to the center city. She pointed out all the shops and important places to know while I'm here. It was a great way to see the city for sure. Here's a few pictures of what I saw today. 

Games in the park

Blue sky building

The central square

Gorgeous mountains creeping up behind the city

I learned that Mongolians don't drink water. It's for sale bottled everywhere but they just don't drink it so I got myself a huge water! Also, I'm probably going I die on public transportation or get but by a car before I leave here. Apparently you're just supposed to cross the street when you feel like it and hope the cars stop...not reassuring...

And when they say developing country, they mean it. Most of the buildings are stopped mid construction and the ones that are built have been around since the 40s and 60s. But the little glimpses I caught of the countryside are incredible. I can't wait to go out there. 

Now I'm resting because I'm still exhausted from traveling and Israel. I'm not sure when my host parents come home but I'm sure dinner will be an adventure as well. I promise to post about it if it is. 


No comments:

Post a Comment