Thursday, June 27, 2013

Farewell Party

Can you hear the people sing? Singing the songs of angry men. It is the music of the people who will not be slaves again!

ONE DAY MORE!

Today was the last day of the dig and Les Mis songs were playing in my head all day because I thought they were more than appropriate for the situation.


I was in charge of first aid again today. There wasn't much drama but someone did hurt their back very badly right at the end and I had to take her back to the hotel.

We really accomplished alot on the dig and it does give you a great sense of satisfaction to see the progress. Everyone worked so hard with much more energy because it was the last day!!


 Willie's area went down almost 6 feet in 2 weeks!

Willie's area
Dug as deep as Kevin is tall

Joel's area and the cistern

 To be honest, I didn't really think I was going to like this dig as much as I do. If you know me, you know I'm not really and outdoors person let alone a manual labor in the dirt person...But it was so much more. I learned so much and appreciate what these people do more than I ever did. I mean, I basically became a coin expert!

Plus, I made some wonderful friends on this trip. There were people of all ages and from all places around the world here. It was so interesting to spend time talking to them and becoming friends with them. It's so bittersweet to be leaving in a couple days. I really love some of the people here and do wish that I was spending more time with them. I also LOVE Jerusalem. I want to spend so much time in Israel exploring and getting to know the country. That's the bitter part.

The sweet part is that when I shower today, it doesn't feel so futile because I'm not going to be in the dirt all day tomorrow! And I may stand a chance of getting the dirt off my skin in the next week or so since I'm not getting covered in dirt everyday. I've never been so dirty in my entire life. Also, I certainly won't miss the manual labor! Or 430am. Especially 430am!

We had a party tonight to celebrate the two weeks being over and to celebrate the group as a whole. It was so much fun! Here's some of my new friends!

Carston (right) from Germany and Arna (left) from Norway

Yosef!! Our muscle man on the dig

My loves

LARRY! One of my favorite people on the dig

Jo the treasure hunter from London

Josh from Australia

I won't reminisce any more because the trip isn't quite over yet but I did confirm my flight for Mongolia tonight!! Getting really real now!

Tomorrow we get to sleep in until 8am! Best present ever. One more day of fun before the 24 hours of travelling begins!

Suldaka: friendship


No comments:

Post a Comment