Thursday, June 20, 2013

Where the Rooster Crows


Hello! I wanted to greet you the same way we are greeted every morning as we exit the Zion gate. 
With the kitty greeting committee!

Our dig site with the shades. 

Melumadima

Before I start on today, I wanted to post this picture from yesterday because I love it so much. We found a street vendor who made us Charlotte shirts with Levine  Scholars written in Hebrew underneath. We surprised everyone and wore them to the lecture. Dr. Tabor immediately read the Hebrew and taught us how to say it. Melumadima is the word they use for Levine Scholars which literally means those who learn. We love our shirts!  

Anyway, this morning was the same as all of the others on the dig. I had to walk someone with sun stroke back to the hotel about an hour after we started so I got a wonderful breakfast with real eggs and chocolate pudding. It was to die for. But then I had the walk back to the dig which wasn't so fun for the third time that day..

I had a couple of cool finds today. My first was...

ANOTHER COIN!!

They're saying I have magnet fingers now and I don't know about all that but I did find another copper coin while shiving today. 

Then I found this...


Any guesses to what this is??

Well you're probably wrong cause it took us a while to figure out what it is. It's a tooth! A giant tooth! The experts seemed to think it belongs to a camel because it was so big. 

Then there was a much appreciated
Popsicle break! It's probably the best thing I've ever eaten at that moment at the dig. 

After the dig, which was the hottest day so far, Dr. Zablotsky and I walked up the street to St. Peter's church. We decided to go here because an Armenian man told us a great story about it and we wanted to see it for ourselves. 


So does anyone know the significance of the rooster being on the sign? In relation to the Bible? There's a pretty famous Bible story about a rooster during the time of Jesus...

Peter and the rooster

This church is believed to be on the spot where Peter denied Jesus three times. When the Armenian man told us this, we knew we wanted to go. The inside of the church was incredible. When you first go in, it looks like an incredibly ornate Catholic Church. 


As we moved through the church, it became incredibly more interesting. It turns out that the church was built on an excavated house that is believed to be the place where Jesus was held before he was taken before Caphiasis in his last days. 


Peter mourning his denial of Jesus. 

We ventured deeper into the old prison and saw areas with crosses and places where people pray now because they feel close to Christ at this place. 

Description of the prison
A place for prayer
Crosses etched in the prison.

Outside of the church was equally as impressive as the inside. There was an entire excavated area including stairs that  Jesus would have had to walk down in order to go to Lazarus' house at the end of the day because he never spent a night in Jerusalem. Seeing and walking in an area where Jesus most likely walked was incredible. 

Stairs Jesus probably walked 
The path and areas on the way to Lazarus' place. 

The church was really incredible and worth taking the time and shekels to go see. It was the closest I felt to an area where Jesus really did spend his time on the trip yet. On a lighter note, the souvenir shop sold rooster T-shirts that I thought were really hilarious. 


Plus the views from the church were incredible. 



That's all for today! Here's the Arabic word I learned today:

Issa: Jesus 
Very appropriate considering where I visited today 


P.S. Here's a real life pomegranate tree! With pomegranates on it!

No comments:

Post a Comment