Saturday, June 29, 2013

Saying Goodbye

It's that time. I have to leave Israel today. I love this place so it makes me sad that I have to go even though I know the next leg of my adventure will be just as incredible if not more.


When I take time to reflect on this trip, I realize that I am more than blessed to have the opportunity to come here and to be here with people that I care so dearly about. 


And then a few more things come to mind...

Like the dirt. There was so much dirt. All the time. The picture above is from day 1 of the dig and we're all so clean! I think everyone wore the same clothes all this week because we were already so disgusting that we didn't want to dirty up more clothes... It's been two days without digging and multiple showers and I still don't feel like I've gotten all the dirt off of me. You dig all day, take a shower and watch so much dirt come off, but when you run the towel over yourself, the towel is covered in dirt! I've never been so dirty in my whole life and I have no desire to be that dirty ever again.

Then there's the manual labor that makes you so dirty. This trip has taught me I am definitely not cut out for manual labor like hauling dirt and moving stones. No thank you!

The definition of walking distance here is silly. Their definition of walking distance is far beyond what mine is! I definitely got my exercise.

And finally I've eaten more pita here than I ever thought I would. I don't think I'm ever going to eat pita ever again. It's delicious but I've had more than my fair share.

On the flip side...

Jerusalem is a magical city. It's hard to describe the feeling of walking on the ground where Jesus walked. The old city at 5am is silent and peaceful, but so active on the way home. The sun rises over the Mount of Olives in the morning and although it is hot, the breeze keeps the temperature comfortable.  The people are incredibly kind and make the experience even better. It is a city that everyone should experience once in their life. You can feel the spirit of the city and the holiness as you walk.

Plus, as I said before, I got to come experience this city with some of the people who are the most important in my life. The other Levine's are like my second family and I got to share this trip with them.




Along with the Levines, I got to meet people at the dig from all over the world. All of these people came together to work on the dig and learn about archeology in one of the most historically significant cities in the world. When you spend 5 days a week digging at 5am for two weeks together, you really get to know the people around you. It's a special kind of friendship when you can ignore the fact that everyone's been wearing the same clothes every day and you don't notice the dirt anymore.


Sweet Larry. 78 years young and worked harder than anyone else.



All of that above basically means that I had an indescribable trip to Israel. I loved every moment of it and wouldn't change a thing. Even the 430am alarms. I am so glad this was my first trip abroad because it has been truly life changing.

I board the plane tonight at 11pm in Tel Aviv to head to Mongolia. I know that Mongolia is going to be incredible but I am slightly nervous right now. I have a 10 hour plane flight to Seoul, South Korea...yippee... 24 hours from when I leave Israel, I will be arriving in Mongolia. The next time you hear from me, I will be in Mongolia!!


1 comment:

  1. I have so enjoyed following your blog.....best of luck as your journey continues!!! ~Karen Schoonover(DrZ's sis)

    ReplyDelete