Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Nursing in Israel

Today was quite an interesting day. 

The dig started as normal dig day but I was in charge of first aid. Basically that means putting alot of bandaids on and taking water to everyone throughout the day so they don't get dehydrated. People tend to forget to drink as the day goes on. 

Today started as an easy day. A couple of blisters to wrap up and a few bandaids for other people and lots of passing around water. As I was passing out water on one side of the camp, I heard someone yell my name followed by "she passed out!" So I took off running across the dig to find one of the participants passed out on the ground. She came to pretty quickly but as we tried to move her to the shade, she passed out again. By then we decided to take her back to the hotel. As we're walking to the car, she passed out a third time and wasn't recovering well. 

It was time to go to the hospital. 

After about 4 hours in the hospital, we were discharged. It turned out she was just super dehydrated. There is much more to the story but it would make this blog way too long but don't worry. I took good care of her before we got to the hospital. 

Now I hate when people are sick but this was definitely more in my comfort zone than digging. Plus I got to see the inside of an Israeli hospital. 




It is very much like our hospitals but the equipment is much older and they are not as concerned with sterility as we are. I didn't see nearly as much hand washing or sanitizing as we do at home and there were flies inside which was gross to me. 

The staff was great and I like learning about the way the hospital worked. It's socialized medicine so there was a set price just to come in and the basic tests such as an ECG and blood work. And the wait was crazy long. We practically had to beg to get out of there. 


Definitely more my thing but I'm glad she was ok and I'm hoping there won't be anymore drama tomorrow since it is the last day of our dig. 

We ended our day with a lecture on lamps. Ancient lamps...

I just wanted to do a quick plug for our senior project with the Levine Scholars program. We are holding a dance marathon on campus in November to benefit the Children's Miracle Network and the Levine Children's Hospital. I'm raising money to support both the marathon and the Levine Children's Hospital. If you feel like this is something you'd like to contribute to, I would greatly appreciate it. I set my initial goal to $100 but it is certainly not a limit and the more I raise, the more children we can help. The link below is for my fundraising page. 


Shukran for your help!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment