Sunday, June 16, 2013

I Peed at King David's Tomb

Yep. You heard me. I peed at King David's tomb. 



Don't worry. It was an actual public bathroom. I didn't go pee on the actual tomb! It just happened to be at King David's tomb. But I thought it was pretty funny!

Today was day 1 of the dig in Jerusalem. We left the hotel at 515am and walked through the old city to the dig site. The city was empty but just as grand as I ever imagined it would be. Our dig site is right outside the Mount Zion gate and as we were oriented to the site, we got to watch the sun come up over the Mount of Olives. 



We spent the day cleaning up debris from the site and moving buckets of diet away. We found lots of pieces of pottery but nothing too thrilling yet. Hopefully that'll come in the upcoming days. The climate is actually very nice here. It's chilly in the morning and definitely warms up but it's a dry warm and has a very nice breeze so I like it alot. 

Our dig site!

After the dig, we were absolutely disgusting and covered in dirt from head to toe so we came back and showered before heading out to explore the city. It was like a whole other world when people were actually out of bed. The markets were packed and smelled like wonderful baked goods. We talked and haggled our way through the markets and ended up at one of the coolest places I've ever been...



The Wailing Wall. This was unbelievable. We found an overlook at first and just took some time to soak it all up. We went through security to get into the area and once inside, the wall was sectioned off into a male side (which was significantly bigger) and a female side. I had been looking forward to seeing this wall ever since I found out I was coming to Jerusalem. I took my prayer and placed it in the lower crevice of the wall and put my hand on the wall to pray. 

I touched the Wailing Wall. So incredibly cool. It is an indescribable feeling to be in such a grand and historical city and be able to walk up and touch the places that I've learned so much about. The wall was amazing. 

You have to walk backwards when you leave the wall as a sign of respect. So we walked out backwards and headed back to the hotel. We're going out to dinner again tonight and hopefully it'll be better than last nights "shwirma"...eww!

Also, today I learned the Arabic word for water- Mah

So now we have Shukran (thank you) and Mah (water). That's all I need to get by! 

No comments:

Post a Comment