Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Treasure Hunting



Good morning from my station at the dig site! Like I said before, I am at the shiving station which basically means I take buckets of dirt that people have excavated and go on a treasure hunt! People always ask what we're looking for  at the dig and the answer is anything that is there. The same goes for shiving. I pretty much look at gravel all day hoping that I find something exciting. We mostly find pottery pieces, animal bones, and roman glass. 

Roman glass!
      Very thin, iridescent pieces of glass

But I found some much more exciting things today while I was shiving...

 Guess what that is!!

A COIN!

I found an early Roman or possibly Byzantine coin! To top it off, the coin was silver! And had inscriptions and pictures on it. Now it was pretty corroded and had alot of dirt on it but it'll clean up nicely. I was so excited because finding coins on the site is a big deal! Then I found something else...


ANOTHER COIN!


Coin #2 is a copper coin so it had turned green and the head archeologist called it a widow's coin because it was considered the poor people's money. It was also from the Byzantine period. There was some inscription on this as well but it obviously has to be cleaned up. 

Then things started to get silly when I found...

A THIRD COIN!!


The third coin was the same as the second but in better shape and less corroded. It was still green because of the copper. 

Unfortunately that was the end of my luck when it came to coins today but I was pretty stoked that I found 3 ancient coins on the dig. This kindled a competition with a man from Germany who found two and a half coins today to see who can find the most tomorrow. I am still excited about the finds and in a couple of months I can check back in and get pictures of the cleaned up coins that I found!

This evening we're going to a lecture about crucifixions that should be very interesting and only slightly creepy...

Afwon: Arabic for please, also means 
     you're welcome 

No comments:

Post a Comment