Monday, June 16, 2014

4am is EARLY!


Man I was not happy when my alarm went off this morning! 4 am is so early! It's still the same day in the US when I get up! We got up and had some tea and pasteries before we walked to the dig. The old city is really incredible when no one is out there. It's a very special thing to walk through there and take it all in peacefully. Plus what's better than this sunrise over the Mount of Olives:
I feel so blessed that I get to start everyday by seeing this. 

We had a person injure their ankle on the way this morning and I had to go back through the old city to find them so I got all kinds of extra walking in but I ended up having to sit with her most of the day today. The shades went up over the dig which was really nice but they tried to collapse on us a couple of times before they were secured!





We also had a film crew on the site today working on a project so that was really neat to be a part of. 
 
Somehow it was decided that I would be on tea making duty as well today. Now I need to explain a little why this is a big deal and why I didn't want the job. The head archeologist is obsessed with tea and it has to be made just right. If he doesn't get perfect tea, he is mean and cranky all day. I did not want to be responsible for that but apparently that's my new job. Here's my sketchy tea set up:


Other than a few bumps and scrapes, the rest of the day went fairly smooth. Jamie, another Levine on the trip, found her first coin today so I am thrilled for her! Our dig site really looks fantastic all cleaned up. Here's a picture of the site from the top of the hill, facing the Mount of Olives in the background. 



Tonight is Dr. Gibson, the lead archeologist, lecture and we are all going so I will be staying at the hotel for the rest of the day. Dr. Gibson is quite long winded to say the least so it will be interesting to see how long we are there even though it is interesting. Until then, I will be eating all of the hummus I can find from lunch! It's so delicious!

I hope you all have a wonderful day! Shalom!

Kevin Doing Nothing: 

No comments:

Post a Comment