Tuesday, June 17, 2014

It's Hot!

Well the desert heat seemed to find us today! It was so hot out at the dig and people were dropping like flies!

Before I get to today, I wanted to add a little about last night. It turns out we did go out after the lecture because we were hungry. We decided to have a little mini Levine dinner and have Kevin take us somewhere. Of course, we needed some falafel and it was delicious!

There were French fries inside my falafel pita. This is my kind of sandwich. 

Aren't they cute?!

Anyway, today was an exceptionally hot and dusty day on the dig so I handed out the bandanas for people to use as dust masks. I felt like my friend Brandon who was on the dig last year with my entire face covered:

These people were the dust culprits and I sit right by here so I had to cover my face. They uncovered a great mosaic floor today that I will try to get pictures of tomorrow. It is a great find! I also made a new friend today!


This is Muhhamed. He told us he's 14 but I think it's more like 10 years old. The head archeologist is paying him as a summer job to fetch water and help around the dig. He speaks only Arabic and I work with him the most of the day so we've developed our own language of hand gestures to communicate. He's a super sweet kid and hard worker so we have fun together. Plus he's teaching me more Arabic which I like. Today he taught me that the Arabic word for tea is chai!

After the dig, I took Jamie and some other girls to one of my favorite places in the city. The church of St. Peter of Galicantu. Dr. Zablotsky and I went last year and I fell in love and had to share. There is a beautiful overhang that gives you a panoramic view of the city. Plus this church itself is incredible. This church is on the site where Peter denied Jesus 3 times (in theory). It's ornate and gorgeous and I love going there. 
Excuse the dirt. We came right from the dig. 

Tile and stained glass ceiling. 

Peter denying Jesus. 

Our plan for the rest of the day is to rest of course and go shop around the old city for a little while this evening. We're pretty tired so it won't be long but it's so fun and we don't want to waste time. 

On a more random note, check out these cats from today. Jerusalem is filled with cats and these were particularly funny. Cat one is on a pillow:


And cat two is in a box!! The cat found a box, drug it over and got in it to sleep! Hilarious!!


Kevin Doing Nothing:




No comments:

Post a Comment