Thursday, June 19, 2014

Jerusalem Festival of Lights

This was incredible. 

But before we get to the festival, here's a little snapshot of the day. 


Dr. Gibson had given me a new name. Patricia. 

He spent half of the breakfast time hollering for Patricia and no one was answering because no one is named Patricia. When he finally found me and called me that, I promptly informed him that Patricia is not my name and if he needed me he had to use my real name. Silly man!

Anyway, today was the last day of digging for the week and it was a short day! Here are some pictures from today:

We got wheelbarrows today to move dirt!

Titus' area is really making progress

Visited with nose-less King David during a bathroom break. 

For breakfast this morning, the hotel made us homemade falafel and hummus with Kaak which is homemade Arabic bread with sesame seeds on it. This might have been the best food I've ever put in my mouth. So good that I didn't even take time to take a picture so I could show you. 

Jamie has a great new job sorting pottery and looks great doing it! I spent some time with her today because they were putting up new shades in my area and I had to move. I looked through some pottery and found a great piece with a cool decoration of waves on it. Also, Kevin uncovered this killer mostly intact pot! We were so thrilled for him. 



We left the dig at noon to go on a tour of the excavated Jewish quarter. It was a real honor to be invited by the man who actually excavated there but the bad part was that we were all completely beat from a morning of digging. It was also very crowded so I had a hard time hearing the man talk. What do you do when you're on a required tour but can't hear? Take selfies of course!

Jamie

Jo and Jamie!

This photo of Jamie best describes how we felt about the tour:

We went to the museum about the excavations in the Jewish quarter which was cool because what they found is very similar to what we are finding now. 




More photos from the Jewish quarter 


An ancient map of the city and area where we are digging. 

We were finally released from the tour and rushed back to eat some lunch. After a glorious shower, skyping with Dr. Z and a nap, a group of us went for a proper meal with Dr. Tabor at a local hotel. It was the first real meal we've had since we've been here and it was fantastic. 


Now the part you've been waiting on. The Festival of Lights. It was like nothing I've ever seen before and there were so many people. Like Manhattan on steroids.  I'm just going to post pictures because there aren't words to describe how beautiful all of this was. 

Damascus Gate:










Seriously one of the coolest days of my entire life. I thought I loved the city plain and with lights it's just a magnified love!

And this is the picture of my pooch that I miss very much I was sent today:

Goodnight everyone!

Kevin Doing Nothing:













No comments:

Post a Comment