Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Old City Adventures

Second to last day of the dig! As much as I love this and being a real archeologist, it wears me out! I have a lot of respect for people who do this as their career!

It was another pretty uneventful day on the dig which is definitely not a bad thing. It was not nearly as hot so people were pretty stable all day. We had some people come take a tour of the site and other new helpers today too. I did a little sifting today and found this really cool blue gemstone that they used to grind up to make seals for letters. Also, we found part of a stone vessel from the time of Jesus which is super rare. 

Rafi explaining the stone vessel find

Dr. Gibson wasn't here today so we got out a little earlier than normal. After lunch and a shower of course, we set out on a new adventure!

We walked across the top of the old city wall. Yep. You know that wall that surrounds the old city of Jerusalem? I walked on it. It was so cool!!

Map of the wall




On top of Damascus Gate

Where we walk every day

My crazy friend Brad from Alabama jumped down off of the wall to play basketball with some kids and soccer with another group! They loved it and we were praying he didn't get in trouble!



There was some kind of crazy smoke cloud over the city. It freaked us out so I looked it up and the news said it was a brush fire. I'm going to choose to believe that instead of speculating that it might be something scary. 


The walk spit us out in the Muslim quarter so we made our way over to the Western Wall. I took some pictures up close so that you can see what it's like up there. Of course I also put my prayer in the wall again this year. 




We did some shopping on our way home and stopped at a local place for dinner. I had a dish called foul (pronounced like fool) that is deliciously filled with garlic and tomatoes. We could also watch the World Cup on the big screen. 

Foul: looks gross but tastes incredible


And what's the best way to end a ridiculously long day in Israel?

With ice cream cones of course.

We had a fantastic day and I'm glad we got to do some new things!


Kevin Doing Nothing:
Taking a selfie with me almost counts as something...






No comments:

Post a Comment